Tuesday, July 17, 2007

There was a police car out front of Safeway yesterday for hours as I did my shift at work. I wondered what was going on and knew it was more than the typical shoplifting incident, as they were there for far too long. Today I learned what had gone down from my friend who works there.

She said, "do you know that guy who....." and I went "yup, he's one of my regular customers". She then proceeded to tell me that he'd been arrested for sexual assault on one of the employees. She continued and told me that he'd been involved in previous incidents and I quickly connected his name to reports that I'd read in the paper a year or so ago....."him?...wow". He'd been causing problems on the buses back then, grabbing young girls and behaving very inappropriately.

I was totally shocked, as I'd never have guessed this customer of mine could possibly be the guy responsible for such conduct...not at all what I'd picture as the type. He was a jovial, chubby, greying haired man who rode around on an adult "tricycle". He had a ghetto blaster in the back and blasted music as he rode around town (o.k., maybe just a little weird)...but he'd told me he had a "business" and rented himself out for parties. A "dj" or such and I just figured he was "advertising". He's a regular Keno player at my booth and, although something always seemed a little "off" about him, I just thought he was a bit immature and goofy. I'd never believe he was a pervert. (FTR - this is not him, this is a google image)

I came home and told Linds (she'd been at the booth before when he'd been there and immediately knew who I was talking about)....she was also shocked. "HIM?!...we got a warning about that at school last year. It was him?". As was the case with me, she had a hard time making the connection to this guy. Who knew? So it just goes to show, you can't really judge a book by its cover...perverts come in all shapes and sizes and do not always wear long, black trenchcoats. This guy was like someone's happy go lucky grandpa.

* * * * *

Shifting gears to the really bad news department here (which doesn't even begin to describe this)....I'm completely devastated. Vince isn't expected to make it and they've given him one year. My God, why?? Linds just returned from a week away with them and when he came to drop her off I thought he looked great. Although, when I gave him a big hug I did find it a little strange that he hugged me back so hard. Then we talked of me heading up to the cabin with them next year...it wasn't until Linds and I came inside that she brought me up to speed. They don't expect he'll make it for the trip next year. I can't believe it...why him? He's one of the nicest people I know - both of them are. I'm refusing to accept this and will hold out hope for him. If you do that stuff, remember him in your prayers...he's truly worthy of the help, believe me.

Without being too disrespectful, I'd like to change the subject...it's hard to end with such tragedy. So I'll focus on something that could've had a tragic ending, but didn't.

Was it really 30 years ago? I shudder to think of what could've been the outcome. As I look out my window and see the same highway that I started my journey on 30 years ago today, I think of my daughter who is older than I was that day. And much smarter. I'm just lucky fate was on my side and I made it home that night. Although I did die and go to heaven during this.....

8 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, Deb.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry about your friend too.

Your 30 years ago post: scary and something you'll always remember. Good thing you can run. I did something like that in college. I hitchhiked to an weekend music festival. Got picked up by a motorcycle gang - rode with a fool that liked to pass on hills. God I was happy when the ride was over. Did I add I had finals that following Monday? What an idiot I was.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'm really sorry about your friend. My hopes are with him.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Very sorry to hear about your friend too, Deb. My thoughts and hopes are with him.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

oh, I see what happens....the link is under the original post afterward. O.K., I am crazy. But we already knew that. :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger junky said...

Sorry about your friend also, but don't get too down stranger things have happened.

That is the exact reason I wear my pervert on my sleeve so I don't surprise anyone, I guy, I worked with got canned for soliciting a child of 14 or under,it was a sting on the interwebs the whole time, but who knows how many times he got away with it. He lives less then a mile from me...nice, the paper just printed a list of sex offender 2 pages in my township alone.

Is the Zeppelin from song remains the same? It seems different.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

junky...wow, sex offenders are everywhere. Watched Dateline tonight and it was all about them setting guys up and busting their sorry asses.

Yep, TSRTS. That was the soundtrack of my youth. I know every single second of it inside out. They did it exactly the same at the show I saw. The only video I could find from the Seattle show was Over The Hills & Far Away, but the audio was dubbed in and wasn't really in synch with the video.

2:37 AM  
Blogger junky said...

Physical Graffiti is my jam out Zeppelin record. It would defiantly be in my top 10 dessert island records sort of thing.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home