Sunday, September 30, 2007

Congratulations to Brett Favre today for a huge milestone. Brett overtook Dan Marino to hold the all time record for most touchdown passes in the NFL (421).

I love Brett - he's been one of my favorite QB's of the past decade and a half. He's a great, leave it all out there on the field QB who isn't afraid of risking it all to make the big play. Excitement is his middle name.

The defining characteristic of this man (for me) is his heart - I'll never forget that game on Dec. 22/03 where he threw for 4 touchdowns in the first half and won the game (41-7). Now, that in itself, is a huge accomplishment - any QB would be proud of those numbers. But this was no regular game for Brett...his father was killed the day before when he suffered a sudden heart attack at the wheel and drove into a ditch. Coincidentally, it was the same spot that Brett had been involved in an accident in years before (and nearly died as well).

Anyhow, the courage that it took for him to show up and play that day ("my Dad would want me to") won me over and, although I'd already been a big fan, that escalated through the roof at that point. The family stories are the ones that really get to me and I'll never forget the tears in his eyes at the end of the game as he looked up to the sky, in search of his father. He was named the NFC's offensive player of the week. And then he headed off to his father's funeral.

The adversity didn't stop there for Brett and his family. Less than a year after his father's death, his brother in law was killed in a tragic ATV accident. That was followed by his wife's cancer diagnosis and, as if that wasn't enough to break them, they were hit by Hurricane Katrina, which extensively damaged his home and devastated the family home. Luckily, noone was seriously injured.

I can relate to someone who's suffered so much pain. And he's been an inspiration throughout it all - a true pro who puts on a brave face and shows up everyday for work, despite the boulders on his shoulders.


So today I took off my Canucks tee to don my #4 "cheesehead" jersey (actually it's Ty's - shhh, don't tell him I wore it AGAIN).

Good on ya Brett, good on ya.

11 Comments:

Blogger MyDirtyLaundry said...

Jeez, for a second I thought Brett got traded to the Eskimos. You can tell how much I follow football. :)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

The Eskimos? That's too funny lala and I don't think Deb would approve one little bit! Of course I am still hoping the Roughies can redeem themselves and stomp all over those Terrible Lions!! Go Roughies.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Look how cute you are! That's a lovely tribute.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

lala...no worries, I'm a little sports crazy for a female. It's in my blood...my Mom was even worse.

tc...not gonna happen tc. My Lions like winning. :)

barb...well thank you friend. I hate pictures and thought afterward "whatever THE HELL possessed me to post that?!".

9:55 PM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

You know
thats the first photo I've really seen of you except for your thumbnail pic,
You are a hot babe
Sexy girl
woah!

6:24 AM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

In fact, that would make a hot new thumbnail photo!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Hey Deb, I just got back from reading the paper at Starbucks and wanted to let you know that if possible you need to find a copy of today's National Post. They have a lot of coverage on the upcoming hockey season and it was really good and some of it was down right hilarious.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice picture. You're too cute.

He is inspiring and unfortunately in our division. Two years ago he seemed washed up - now he's kicking ass (by the way, that game after his dad died was unbelievable).

I take a lot of crap from my siblings because though a Bear fan, I like him. We would have won alot of Superbowls with a quarterback!

We have to play them this Sunday night. They are 4-0 and we are falling apart at 1-3. Guess who my money is on?

1:09 PM  
Blogger junky said...

Lions fan, I have to be it the law here.
That game in 03' was he still playing the Minnesota Vicodins? Just kidding the man is a champ it's just not in my genetic coding to like Green Bay.

I agree with TK that's a great pic of yourself you need to come out of your shell more often, says the tortoise to the turtle :)
Aero

9:31 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

tk...thank you my dear. You're too kind. ;)

tc...(this could get confusing!) - thanks for the heads up. Not sure if I'll be able to still get a copy, read this too late. :(

But I do have the Province and they've got quite a good hockey review for the season. Got some tickets yesterday at Save On for Ty & Fiona...now I just have to order the PPV. Bring on Friday!

busterp...I'm a bit of a fairweather fan in the NFL and am all over the board. I'd say my #1 team is the Seahawks, but I also like both NY teams (the Giants were my team in the 80's). And GB. I was a huge Chicago fan back in the days of McMahon, "Sweetness" (the ex's all time favorite player), The Fridge, Mike Ditka, etc. So I've claimed quite a few as "my own". :)

junky...oh shit, the Aeros. I'm so pathetic. I ate one pack. I hid one pack (from myself) and can't find it. Then Ty ate #3. I won't even talk the talk anymore until I've walked the walk (which will be this week). I'm a real bad procrastinator. REAL BAD. I'll put an extra pack in (interest).

I also owe a girl from Facebook some CD's and I think it's high time I get my ass in gear and head down to the post office. Canada Post has been stealing my mail so I probably subconsciously don't want to go in there because I may have to strangle someone. :)

I hate pictures and shy away from the camera. Despite being a big mouth, shit disturber type, I'm actually quite shy.

1:43 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

I really do love that photo of you Deb

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home