Friday, October 19, 2007

I'll be back later to catch up on comments, etc. - as for right now I'm watching the Canucks/Kings game. We should win this one handily but, with that being said, I'm not counting my chickens. We are up 1-0 however, on a goal from Lindsay's favorite - Matt Cooke ("Cookie").

When I do return later, I'll fill you in some more on the wild day here.

For now, it's been breaking news all day:

A plane crashed into a building 5 minutes away from here -I didn't know the details right away and was terrified (was at work when customers started coming in with the "did you hear about the plane?" stories). The Richmond hospital is on "Code Orange" right now, meaning that none of the workers are allowed to leave, as they wait for ambulances. (And we all know how efficient they are there.) Hopefully everyone is o.k. - no news yet. but witnesses have said that they saw people waving frantically from the building. Awful.

There's a huge gas leak in Surrey (where Ty & Fiona are) and entire blocks have been shut down near the King George Sky train station. Every available emergency vehicle is there at the moment - dozens of firetrucks and ambulances lined up and down the streets.

And, we're having a huge thunder storm here - it's brutal. The rain is coming down harder than ever and if the power goes out and messes with my hockey game, then you'll hear some real thunder.

A weird day today.

Back soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Gledwood said...

Re the accident: how terrible!
Surely it was a glider or a light aircraft otherwise it would bring the entire block down... right?

I hope you're having a cheery weekend!

7:17 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Yes, it's been a freakie weekend so far!!!! Hey Deb, I'm madly trying to get your attention on facebook to see if you want to come to the Lion's game with me! We scored two extra tix, and they are good ones (worth 48 bux each). So come out and have a free football night on me *G*
*bouncing around*

3:10 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Coincidentally, I used that same runway 3 hours prior.

The airplane was a Piper Seneca, a light, piston-engine twin.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Wow, what a horrible accident! Geez.

I hope things have picked up for you this weekend Deb :)

1:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was a terrible accident and Canucks lost that game

2:25 AM  
Blogger Barbara Doduk said...

only one person in the plane, and he died... he was the pilot and he was 82. might have something to do with it, his age! that said it was a crazy friday. i work in Richmond too, and live in Marpole so it was close to home for sure.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I was thinking of you when I heard about all the goings on out there. You must have wondered what the hell was happening.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

I'm glad the accident wasn't any WORSE

7:32 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

sorry i've gone so long, sorry about the plane, i'm me agine..eddie

5:18 PM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

Wow, did the pilot survive?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi friends....sorry, haven't been around much. I've been feeling under the weather and have been trying to get a lot of rest, in order to fight the impending Fall flu that's hitting so many.

gled...whitenoise was correct (and I'd posted the response in your comments). I hope you're o.k. too...am "popping by" your blog after this.

mel...I snoozed and I losed. :( Excellent game though (I listened on the radio).

whitenoise...I immediately think of you (in horror and deep concern) when I hear of plane crashes. I always say a little prayer for you. Be safe my man, be safe.

al..things are "meh". In a bit of a funk - worried about Dad, not feeling great. I think all this rain hasn't helped much either.

rop...you're right about that. So sad, but the only thing I can think of in consolation is at least that pilot died doing what he loved and it probably was an instant thing. So tragic though.

b...thank God - it could've been a lot worse. I mean it's awful for those who were involved, but the reality is that many more people could've been injured or killed. Where in Richmond do you work (you don't have to be specific...just give me a hint or two).

barb...it was such a weird day. One of those that leaves you very unsettled and feeling rather small in this big world.

gled...that is so true.

eddie...hey, good to "see" you. Hope things are well (will check in at your place in a bit).

tk...I'm having trouble accessing your blog, which is why I haven't been around. Got in there the first time, but can't seem to get back in. ?

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home