Thursday, September 07, 2006

It Helps When I Write It Down

When I first learned of Dad's cancer I sat alone in the dark one night - crying, swearing. And then I wrote this.

Tragic, indignant
the final curtain
And as end nears
only pain is certain
As others go on
Choice - ignorance
“too busy” to come
they sit on the fence
Frail & tired
your mind won’t keep still
wrinkles hold stories
of the opening bill
Faded photos
(but only a few)
can't tell them all
they’re stored deep within you
As it feeds on you slowly
then knocks you out cold
Death is a vulture
Heartless and bold
Unforgiving
Cares not who you are
random selection
all even par
It comes unannounced
Doesn’t knock upon entry
Just barges right in
leaves you cold, dry & empty
Mindlessly numb
then, unknowing, a tear
too frightened to move
frozen in fear
Alone in the dark
silent you cry
can’t make a sound
insides screaming why??
And amidst all the chaos
you struggle for answers
of this uninvited guest
who calls himself
cancer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Those are very powerful words. I wish your dad and your family strength to fight this.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thank you, my dear. Sometimes I feel so weird being negative and down all the time...it's just not my usual persona. We're keeping really upbeat, positive and optimistic in general - if that gets the job done, then we're there!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home