Thursday, November 23, 2006

Clean Out Your Closet For Others Less Fortunate

Every year at this time of year I load up a couple of bags of blankets, coats, gloves, scarves and other winter "warmies" that we are no longer using and take them over to my mother in law. She and her friend then head down to the Salvation Army in Vancouver and unload it all there, to those who appreciate it more than you can imagine. It's distributed to homeless people who are out in the cold and need any help we can give them. Please, I urge you to donate a few articles of warm clothing to those who can really use it. There are Sally Ann's all over the place - please look one up in your area. Here are a few local chapters: 261 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC, Canada - (604) 874-4721 / 3213 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada - (604) 872-7676 / 1906 W 4th, Vancouver, BC, Canada - (604) 737-2444.

(Warm socks are especially appreciated. Children's clothing is not needed as desperately as stuff for the adults. Thank goodness for that.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

How strange - just this morning I was thinking that we have so many blankets which we never use and whether they would want them at the homeless shelter. Especially now that we are having a cold snap and an unprecidented number of homeless people. Thank you. I will do this.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

A couple of years ago when "Mum" called to see if I had anything I was more than happy to clear out some of the stuff that we weren't using. I loaded a whole trunkload and she told me that when they dropped it off, the SA worker had a tear in his eye as he unloaded it and couldn't thank them enough. Apparently not too many people know/contribute and the stuff really went to good use. So now we make it an annual event.

(I like your new pic)

3:31 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Awwww thats so sad Deb! I wish we had blankets and jackets to give them! We only have one blankie each. :(

Im glad you donated stuff though! I hope a lot more people do the same. Maybe they will when they see your post!!!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I do that every year too. I actually jumped the gun and did it this fall, and donated about 8 bags of clothes, etc.
Usually around this time of year I buy extra mittens and socks and donate them anyway.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Well hell Mell, we'll donate some to you too. (I'm bad - I signed up for a credit card JUST to get a fuzzy BC Lions blankie).

Oh my, this is funny. On the news right now they have people pleading this very case - for donations of warm stuff for the homeless in Vancouver.

That's awesome that you buy stuff Allison - you're great!! I think I'm going to start buying extra dollar shop socks and stockpile them throughout the year. If I buy a pair a week.....

11:48 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Also...The Union Gospel Mission in Vancouver accepts the same items. Mum informed me today that that's actually where they've been taking the stuff. Either way...as long as the homeless get them that's all that matters.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home