Saturday, November 10, 2007

Things are getting interesting.

It seems the newly married, fairly successful, "livin' the good life" realtor who's suing Dad has "connections"...one in particular, in the form of a Klein Lyons lawyer who specializes in "injured in car accidents" suits (and, according to his Facebook page, is currently "looking to buy a luxury car". On Dad's dime I'm sure).

Anyhow, it seems the lawyer might "owe" realtor boy one, as he recently lined him up in his new (first) home and was impressed enough by his services to write a testimonial on him. He went "above and beyond" and felt indebted to him.

I don't know, but where I come from that's considered a "conflict of interest"?

Sorry that I haven't had time to visit or to respond to comments. I'm as busy as hell right now - between working, being a Mom and looking after Dad, I'm now a PI full time.

Oh, as if THAT'S not enough on the agenda....

When I arrived at work today I was fully prepared for a madhouse - both lotteries have ridiculously high jackpots right now and everyone and their chicken wants a ticket. This means that people who have never played before are trying to purchase tickets and it creates some interesting scenarios ("I want 200 plays on the 6/49....oh, they're two dollars each??...give me one"). I cancel more tickets during these jackpots than ever....it's fairly simple but people have a way of complicating things.

Anyhow, the girl who's leaving next week was up to her eyebrows in work when I came to relieve her so she left me with quite a few things that needed doing. No biggie (on a good day). But we're supposed to take over our shifts with everything done and so it set me back from the get go. Money needed to be counted & pulled, a ticket order had come in and needed to be dealt with and inventory was left half done. The people starting lining up and, although I can usually handle the customers as well as the other "duties" that need doing, I was behind from the moment I stepped into the booth. The phone then began to ring off the hook - Dad, Linds and Ty all called and had problems for me to deal with. And then the Lottery Corporation called and it seemed we had a fairly serious problem at hand in the form of a missing $1800 winning ticket! So I frantically had to dump out gargabe and recycling bins in search of the missing ticket. "S" had apparenty validated the ticket but was unable to pay out the prize, so she directed the customer to the lottery corporation to collect his winnings. The only problem was that she'd accidentally "validated" the ticket, gave back the validation slip and then ripped the ticket up and threw it away in error! So the customer proceeded to head office with his useless validation slip in hand, thinking it was all he needed to collect his winnings. Of course, he needed the actual ticket (which was long gone) and so it began ("let's call Deb, she'll figure it out").

After an hour of piecing together bits and pieces of tickets, I matched the control number and found the bottom of the winning ticket. Another twenty minutes and I'd found the top and had it all taped back together. The lottery corp. sent over a security guard to pick it up and return it to it's rightful owner (who'd become quite panicked at the realization that his winning ticket was "missing" and he couldn't receive any cash without it).

I then served the other 8,239,029 idiots who didn't know who to mark 6 squares on a piece of paper. Don't get me wrong - I love my customers. Just not today.

(Oh, ftr - I almost started drinking today.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Too funny. ;-)

You're a sweetheart to go to so much trouble for so many people.

5:54 AM  
Blogger junky said...

I started drinking again last night, oh wait I never stopped. I just have booze "sabbaticals".

I have about 1000 people suing me right now, well not me Dad's estate, really fun isn't it :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You made me smile. Have a nice weekend.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

BTW, loved the graphic. One of my favorite - though REALLY scary looking.

Take care Deb...

6:45 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

whitenoise....thank you. I miss "your place" and have to get over more often.

junky...too funny. I love your spin on things, makes things bearable. Want me to investigate something for you?

busterp...I'm glad for that. You have one too (football day today for me - Canadian and American).

(ha part of the w/v was "posr"...I know, I'm easily amused!)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Barbara Doduk said...

Ah, take pleasure in knowing you are doing the right thing. I'll have a drink for you.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Re the lottery:
Maybe they think if they're hazy about what box they marked you'll bring them luck by making the choice for them. Surely lucky dip was invented for people like that.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home