Sunday, November 04, 2007

There have been more bloopers, blunders and mishaps.

Dad had a fall (nothing too serious, but preventable, had the nurse remembered to put the brake on the commode).

I arrived yesterday to see his empty bed...he'd been taken down for another "surgery", yet noone knew what for. They only knew he'd be 4 hours...I asked for the head nurse, who took me down to the ER to have a brief minute with him before he endured YET ANOTHER procedure (again, nothing too serious, but at this point everything's a big deal for him).

So we're fumbling along, hoping things start to improve. The worst is over, but this still isn't great. I'm quite concerned, as Dad is getting grouchy, depressed and wants me to quit my job to take care of him at home. He wants out NOW. I'm trying to bide our time and stall him, but I have visions of him calling a cab.

Anyhow, I'm not prepared to do that (quit my job to become his fulltime nurse) - as selfish as it sounds, it wouldn't help either of us in the long run. My job makes me happy and the people are my friends. Besides, I suck at nursing and it takes someone special to do that.

You know the old saying about the caretaker being no good if she doesn't care for herself. Something like that.

So I'm still here, treading water. It's gorgeous outside so, before I go get Dad's room ready for him and then visit him in hospital, I'm going to sit on my rock for a few minutes hours. It misses me, I feel it. I'll take pics, as my posting is pretty limited these days.

Oh, in good news - my teams won yesterday. And that makes me smile.

Take care friends. I miss you.

:)

4 Comments:

Blogger Toccata said...

Oh Deb I'm sorry to hear your father had to have yet another surgery. No wonder why he's a little grouchy. Hope time on your rock gave you some peace of mind and tranquility. By the way I don't think not quitting your job is selfish.

3:38 PM  
Blogger jim dandy said...

I had a rock when I lived out in the country and it brought me many hours of peaceful thoughts. Take care, My thoughts are with you as well.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Surgery really takes its toll on you... I remember having relatively minor injuries (well fair enough one was concussion) and sleeping ALL THE TIME because of that it was quite ridiculous but then again sleep is the body's healing process when you're in hospital like that night and day all turn into a big blur ... hold off on that cab: as much as anything you're not qualified to nurse that really would be too much

well it's firework night here every other time I look out the window coloured lights are gracefully falling in some corner of the skies

take care Debs

1:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I can understand your dad wanting you to care for him, but agree that would be the wrong thing to do. It really does take a certain sort of person to be able to do that without becoming resentful. Read: a paid professional.

It's much better if you are there to give him love and support and make him laugh, things you do well.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home