Sunday, December 30, 2007

It seems another roller coaster ride is coming to an end as we got through Vince's service even though it was heart wrenching. I didn't realize that he was a couple of years younger than me...just makes no sense when someone so young/good is ripped out of everyone's lives. Weird to bump into my ex sister in law and her family there...I didn't even know she knew him. But it turns out she grew up with him and they were in "puppy love" in school. Funny - she still had a little tiny shovel that he'd given her back then...it said "I dig you" on it. Kids. Anyhow, small world - I guess we're all connected somehow.

I'm feeling hopeful after the service, which made me reflect a bit and think of how lucky I am, despite all that's been happening. I try not to take life for granted, however hard it can be at times. Maybe all the bad stuff is behind me and the new year holds promise? I seem to recall feeling this optimism every year at this time though, only to be let down when the shit starts hitting the fan. But this year is my year - my horoscope says all kinds of good stuff is coming. So I'll run with that.

* * * * *

In other earth shattering news...I was a maniac and actually went and lined up at 5 am for a boxing day sale, which I've never done before. And never EVER will again. Why? Because I like my sanity (and my bones all in one piece)....all the savings in the world aren't worth crawling out of bed at that ungodly hour to freeze my ass off with 500 other crazies who are all cranky and cut throat. And then the doors open.

It's a scary business, that boxing day madness..I swear some of 'em were packing. I, being a rookie and all, didn't know the game. But my move to fly up the broken escalator and bypass 100 lazy people who were riding up was a good one....managed to butt in front of at least 80 of them. Hey, it's a dog eat dog world and I can't help it if Grandpa's slower than I am. Screw him, I needed a camera. Sales make people lose their minds, as well as their manners. And I am not above that.

So my high school running back moves paid off - I managed to score one of the few cameras that were advertised. I lucked out, as the "15 in store" actually turned out to be 30 and I got one of the last ones. Someone actually had a seizure inside the store...ha, cheater. Took the easy way out (by ambulance). In all seriousness, that particular shopping experience did have that effect...nauseating, dizzying and what the hell did I go there for again? Oh yeah, because I'm the mother of the century. A camera for Linda....saved 250 bucks. And, in all honesty, she's so extremely passionate about photography that I really want to encourage it as much as I can. I mean let's face it - a 16 year old girl interested in photography is much better than some of the alternatives (drinking, partying, etc.). So I'm all for supporting her in that if it means keeping her on track at this vulnerable age. The thing hasn't left her hand since she got it and I feel that it's money well spent. I'm pretty sure that the near death

* * * * *

wow, this is weird.

I was interrupted midpost by the phone only to learn that my brother and his co workers had all been rushed to hospital, suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning while on the job. Apparently they spent the night in hospital, on oxygen.

And then I learned that Dad had a fall (not serious, but worrying all the same).

WTF?

Seriously, I haven't been posting because I wanted this to be more than just my whine sessions.

But waaaaaa.

It's o.k. - they're all going to be fine.

I just can't believe that at the very moment that I was typing the words near death experience, my brother was actually having one. He'd been up on some scaffolding when he began to feel sick, dizzy, etc. and climbed down to report he couldn't go back up there. Then a co worker got seriously ill and they quickly realized that they were all suffering from the same symptoms so they called 911. The firefighters arrived and cleared them out of the building, as the carbon monoxide levels were through the roof. They were then rushed by ambulance to a nearby hospital.

What was I saying about shit and a fan?....let's get this year over with already. I'm so done with it.

Next post: good news, happiness & rainbows....back later, to spread some more sunshine. Debbie Downer, signing off....

5 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Wow, scary, Deb. Here's hoping that 2008 does bring you happiness and rainbows...

1:14 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks w/n....can't get much worse (although I shouldn't jinx myself by saying that...knocking on wood again!).

All the best to you and your family as well. You've been a great friend.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Toccata said...

Well, since you had to run over poor grandpa on the way to snagging a camera we expect to Linds to let you post some incredible pictures.

Carbon monoxide poisoning? Whoa, that's scary. Sure glad they're all Ok.

I'm hoping all this rough stuff you've been going through comes to a crashing end and 2008 is a much, much easier year for you. You deserve a New Year with only sunshine and rainbows.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh my goodness, Deb, that is all too much. I am so glad your brother and coworkers were able to escape the CO and wish them a speedy recovery. And of course the same to your dad.

I cannot believe what a self-sacrificing mom you are to brave 5:00 am boxing day crowds for your daughter. You deserve a hell of a great year in 2008!

7:20 PM  
Blogger adriel said...

You're an awesome mom :)

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home