Monday, December 10, 2007

There's nothing quite like coming home from work and heating up a nice bowl of chili, sitting down to enjoy it, then looking out the window and seeing crows pick away at something on the boulevard. And then, upon closer inspection, realizing it's a big, bloody heap of roadkill, complete with guts hanging out everywhere. Yum.

* * * * *

Yesterday I told you I'd bring you up to speed on the 2010 Winter Olympic mascots so...(drumroll please) Tada, here they are.


Now I understand that some will actually find these guys "cute"...I suppose they could be (with crows on them out on the boulevard). But, for me (and, apparently, several thousand others here), they do absolutely nothing to represent Vancouver. They appear to be the love children of the Pokemon boys and Hello Kitty (slut) and I think a visit to Maury Povich is in order ("Who's Your Baby's Daddy?).








Seriously, who wants a big, cat-coughed-up hairball, a mohawk wearing penguin (?) and a razor-footed tricera-bear as mascots? (mind you - they ARE big in the BC wilderness...saw some when we were camping one year. A lot of beer was involved).

I really didn't know what the hell they are but, after reading this:

"Miga is a mythical First Nations sea bear that is part killer whale and part Kermode spirit bear.

Miga was based on the legends of the Pacific Northwest First Nations of orca whales that transform into bears when they arrive on land, but is also a snowboarder.

Quatchi is a sasquatch, but a shy and gentle giant, that loves all winter sports, and is especially fond of hockey and dreams of becoming a world-famous goalie.

The third mascot, Sumi, is an animal-guardian spirit who wears the hat of the orca whale, flies with the wings of the mighty Thunderbird and runs on the furry legs of the black bear."


I still don't.

Snowboarding half whale/bear?...Ross Rebagliati must've had a hand in this one (after he smoked a few).

Hockey playing sasquatch? Sounds like a Kokanee commercial to me. (At least Luongo will have another back up for the playoffs).

The last one (Sumi) just makes Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" pop into mind. A furry legged, flying hatted creature...wait, isn't that Whitney Houston? (Come to think of it, she's more the Crotchey/sasquatch kind).



We do have a large (majority) population of Asian people here so, undoubtedly, these will be popular and possible big sellers. But Crotchey, Sue Me and My God really don't appeal to an overwhelming number of Vancouverites, who think the designers totally blew it and failed to represent this city at all.

I guess I should try and be positive...maybe Junky's right, it could've been a lot worse:We could've ended up with something like this cracked out rainbow full of fun. Wow.

(*To go "play" with the mascots, copy/paste this link. It won't allow me to directly link to it, but go have yourself a headache on me):

http://www.vancouver2010.com/mascot/en/

7 Comments:

Blogger Whitenoise said...

Thanks for the smile. ;-)

4:12 AM  
Blogger jim dandy said...

mmmm, roadkill chili. yummy!
Maybe gut picking crows would have been better mascots.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Crows are evil. I've heard so many tales of them pecking at baby sheep's eyes etc yukky creatures.

I know someone who once had a PET crow. Rather it was a rescued one.

Quite mad. This thing hopping about a makeshift huge chickenwire aviary. Very tame. But when it was time to go off he flew without looking back

which makes me feel almost tearful in a way...

but that's the way to do it

7:33 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

w/n...n/p - you've done it for me many times. ;)

j/d...I like your mascot idea. Would've made more sense.

gled...I'm one of those "bird ladies" who loves crows. I actually had two "regulars" here that I used to feed. Every morning they'd show up on my deck and scoot along the rail, peeking in, trying to get my attention. Linds actually named them - Pablo & Tony.

I'll dig up a video that might change your mind about crows.

But, ftr, my Dad hates them too.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

oh, sidenote:

I can say, though, that I honestly hated crows years ago (after having watched Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" while babysitting...scared the living crap outta me)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I do like Sumi's hat!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Mascots are mascots, as I see it they rarely ever represent anything, no matter which city or area they are supposed to be representing.

Hope crows and roadkill don't show up at dinner tonight :)

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home