Monday, November 26, 2007

People who love snow are crazy.

They're on drugs. (Or need some)

They don't have to drive my Dad's van in it. Understand that, when it's idlling, this van revs up like it's about to shoot into space. Or explode. So, when it comes to stopping in snow, it just doesn't happen. A lot of sliding & skidding out of control, followed by bumper car shinnanigans until, eventually, I've hit enough things to stop the momentum. Seriously, it sucks. He's had it into the shop and they can't seem to fix it. Idiots. I should give them a ride home one snowy night...they'd find the problem right quick if THEIR lives depended on it. It doesn't matter what I do or whether it's in park, neutral or whatever. It is just out of control, like a runaway train.

Tonight, as Linds and I did the slide right past our driveway, I eventually got us stopped and tried to crank the wheel. Only the van wouldn't go right or left - only straight. I finally had to put her in reverse and inch my way into the driveway backwards, revving to beat all shit (is that even a saying? I don't think it is). Linds was in stitches and having the time of her life and it was as if I was pulling a ferry in to dock too fast. Backwards. We almost hit the condo and I'm sure the neighbours thought I was drunk. I wish I was.

Did I tell you I hate snow?

Actually, I do love looking at it out the window. Watching the other suckers out there, sliding by my living room. A guy actually did a 360 last year right in front of me as I sat there watching the chaos...you should've seen the look on his face. He spotted me, camera in hand, ready to get some evening news footage so he burned it outta there before I could get the shot. Right up over the sidewalk. What a compassionate soul I am. I was really hoping there'd be a crash so I could get some great action footage. No such luck.

Anyhow, I'm extremely tired tonight. Another thing I hate is when I totally screw up in my parenting and tough love backfires in my face. Linds and I are having issues about her curfew, as it's getting later and later. And, because I'm her taxi, I'm not cool with it. As a matter of fact, I'm getting bloody cranky about it.

Last night when she called me at 11, I was ready to go get her, but she had other plans and wanted to stay for the end of a movie. Only problem - they'd only had it on for 8 minutes at that point. We had a brief "exchange" (I was bitchy) and when I realized that I was getting nowhere, I said "fine then, just stay there...I'm NOT coming". And I hung up. And waited for her to call me back to say "o.k., come and get me".







So at 1:30 I realized that my plan had failed. I called her again, and we continued where we'd left off...not arguing about coming home anymore, arguing because that's what I do best. I was a bit unreasonable, and she doesn't respond well to that.

At 7:15 this morning I went and got her from her friend's place, brought her home to get ready for school and then crawled off to work half asleep. Gave free money away all day because, when you don't sleep, 2 + 2 = 8. That's just how it is. I made a lot of best friends today, but I don't know that my boss is on that list. Whatever.

16 year olds are tough and snow sucks. That's what I've learned this week.

How 'bout you?....what have you learned this week?

9 Comments:

Blogger junky said...

Is it an older van? cuuz it sounds like the high idle is stuck on or froze, or the idle on the carb, if it is older, is set to high.
My truck it freezes and you have to keep kicking it down off high idle, It's even funner to stop in the snow it's got drum brakes.....weeeeeeee

10:09 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Yeah, you need a new mechanic... Plus- snow tires would fix your friction problem. Canadian Tire has a special on Good Years right now. (Maybe overkill for a YVR climate, but it would solve the problem and make life much safer.)

3:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am crazy according to your theory.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Barbara Doduk said...

i like snow, but not in the practical sense. if i had nothing to do, no where to go and only time to enjoy it, snow would be nice. but in the practical world... IT SUCKS! i have to move closer to the equator.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I like snow.

A lot.

Ah well.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I can live without snow. But I love rain.

I hoep you and Linds work things out. Fighting is just no fun.

This week I learned how much I wish my brother lived nearer.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

What have I learnt this week? Well for 2 things, I've learnt that you don't like snow and that my pets are less escape-friendly than I thought!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

What's with the boat?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

junky...you can't kick this sucker down. It just goes right back to revving frenzy. And I'm losing faith in mechanics who don't seem to know the simplest things.

w/n...I agree. But something about the devil you know. Snow lasted 8 minutes (which is 7 too long).

emperor...well, I'm a bit crazy too. I just really hate driving in it. Love walking in it, especially at night.

Barb...you nailed it girl. Just how I feel.

Al...just keep it away from me and I'll like it too. :)

Barb...haven't been around lately. Bet you had a wonderful time with your brother...sad for you that you don't get to enjoy each other more often. :(

gled...are your guys playing that game again?

Oh, and the boat. It's a ferry that slammed into a marina awhile ago. It had lost power.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home