Monday, December 24, 2007

Whoever said "only the good die young" must've met you at some point.



A politely quiet man with a giant sized heart.

Who took in, cared for and gave a home to foster children who were deemed "unplaceable". And didn't just, "raise" them - gave them a life worth living. One of holiday vacations and fishing cabins with friends. One who endured Spice Girls slumber parties of giggling girls, phone calls and all night talk of cute boys because it meant the world to them. And so it did to you.

Linds tells me of times you joined in and made them all laugh. Put on a wig or did a hoochie dance. A man with enough confidence to ham it up with the girls. A real man, through and through.

I'll never forget how you treated my daughter. That you did for her what I, at the time, was unable to do. Or the time, not long ago, that we saw that movie together and what you did for your own girl that day. A broken man on the edge of death, putting aside his pain and a brave face on to carry her up the stairs, despite the suffering it caused you afterward. It meant her dignity, so you found a way. I wish we could've found a way for you.....

The last time I saw you, just a few short weeks ago, I think I knew. But I didn't want to accept it, so I told myself that you'd be better. I recognized the sadness in your face, it was different and so unlike you. But, looking back, I think you probably had already resigned to the fact that "this was it". I know that plans were being made...it just came too soon. It just came. Damn it all.

Despite our optimistic "exchange", you probably knew. And maybe you came by for that one, last hug....I didn't give it to you because I was sick and trying to protect you. How ironic is that?

I'd love to have that last hug my friend. But it shall never be.

Rest in peace Vince. We shall truly miss your wonderful spirit....you were a good man. A very good man. And you were far too young to leave us, but we'll never forget you and I promise to live my life a little bit better...be a little kinder, in your honor. Yours are big shoes to fill my friend.

Too, too sad.

xo

9 Comments:

Blogger Toccata said...

Oh Deb I am so sorry to hear about Vince. I remember that post you did of him when you went to the movie together. He sounded like a man I would have really enjoyed meeting. Vince made such an impact on this earth during his lifetime that his legacy will no doubt live on through the kids he helped. Take care my friend.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Hi Debs!
Hope you are havin' a good one I'm sneakin' on this computer at my friend's house while they booze it up down the pub....
...not eaten yet I think we're eatin' around 4 and it's lamb not turkey (YEAH!!~HOORAH!!)
All the Best!

xx
x

;->...

G

6:41 AM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

Deb, so sorry for your loss. Merry Christmas, try to enjoy it in the way Vince would want you to...

9:08 AM  
Blogger TK Kerouac said...

Merry Christmas Deb!

May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas. (A Celtic Blessing)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Happy Christmas , Deb.

I am sorry for your loss, what a lovely post though. I am sure he is smiling down on you and yours now, as you share him with others.

Take care.
xo

6:07 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Right I've officially survived Xmas ...

Debs I'm sorry I posted the above ultrafast bc was sneaking on computer and so hadn't read your post I'm really sorry to hear about your friend ...

take care

xx

7:16 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

How very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss, Deb.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Thanks for the message. I hope the New Year is happier for you than this cig-end of the old one

7:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Thanks to all my dear friends here.

It seems you're always having to "pick me up"....but this year, damn it. No more heartaches (I'm knocking on wood now....)

Anyhow, a quick check in - sorry it's so impersonal...am heading to the funeral in an hour or so. Will get back to blogging afterward (hopefully).

Gonna be a rough one, but I'm tough, remember??

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home