Friday, December 21, 2007

Tonight We're Gonna Party Like It's 1989 (or at least dress like it)

Today, I am proud to be a Vancouverite, for it is here, in this city, that we come together to celebrate this.

Hell yeah. If I wasn't sick I'd actually go.

Instead of the usual "I have nothing to wear" pre-party dilemma, there'd be a whole slew of choices...."hhmm, do I go with the purple angora with red/yellow triangles or the black/white polyester zigzag with padded shoulders?". Imagine the possibilities.

Grandma would be proud as hell as you reach back, far into the closet, for that little gem she picked out for you. Or, better yet, made for you. To think, she probably had bleeding fingers after investing countless hours in front of Jeopardy. Are you sure she loved you? Or did she just have a sick sense of humor? Did she know that, as a child, you had rocks thrown at you and years of therapy couldn't undo what wearing that hideous garment to school for one day did?

Anyhow, apparently this event has people frantically scrambling around Craigslist trying to find themselves an ugly sweater for tonight. I wasn't aware of the shortage...come to my place, I'm sure we can fix you up with something.

I raise my glass to those in attendance....you truly know how to party. And I seriously think that every city should consider making this an annual event...it could be huge.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Toccata said...

So that's where my siwash with the cowboys ended up! I was wondering where that sweater was. My gosh an ugly sweater party. Too funny. My gosh I bet there's a whole slew of outrageous reindeer sweaters on hand.

p.s. I have no idea how to spell siwash and I also have no idea if that is a common term or a local Moose Jaw/Saskatchewan term.

Feel better soon.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

In Manitoba, we used to call them Siwashes too, Toccata.

Deb, sorry to hear you are sick, especially since it means you aren't going to the ugly sweater event. But I have to ask, is that a picture of Leslie Hall (of Gem Sweater fame)? I LOVE HER! If you don't know her, you must google some of her videos. They will help you get better.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Where on earth did you get that picture of that poor girl in pink with glasses so huge they deserve integral windscreen wipers..??

Poor cow! SURELY that did not come from someone's blog profile?!!!!

Surely not!!

Then again in this oddball world you never know what's for real. Well I don't!

Have a merry one, Debs
and a fantastic New Year!!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Tea N. Crumpet said...

I'm sorry you had to miss it-- but it saved you from a bad fashion experience even if you would have been having fun!

Merry Christmas to you!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Whitenoise said...

What a great idea! Even for a theme for a family get-together... ;-)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

It would be better if this were held AFTER Christmas so that I can wear the ugly sweater my mother-in-law always buys me.

7:01 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

I would love to go to an ugly sweater party haha! I would to find one that has flashing lights or sequins on it!

I hope you are feeling better by now Debs
*HUGS*

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home