Thursday, October 16, 2008

Things have been absolutely crazy hectic, but in a good way. I'm going through one of my "highs" at the moment...everything is great and I've got energy to burn. It's a go, go, go time, which is when I fly right.

Ty & I worked the election and that required a lot of running around, training, etc. and explains why I haven't been around much...they threw a lot at us in a short period of time. Hell, they were still advertising for people to work last Thursday!! The training was on Friday and we were each given a 100 page manual, then two lovely old gals tried explaining it all to us. They failed (miserably). They were all over the map and quite possibly suffering from Alzheimers. I think maybe the knitting club was more up their alley, but somehow they ended up working for the Government. Imagine that.

Is it wrong to think that when you've been hired for a job and training starts at 12:00 that YOU SHOULD PROBABLY TRY AND GET THERE ON TIME? What kind of idiot strolls in 20 minutes late? (Eight of them!) I was disappointed that the women in charge waited for them before starting the training - it shortchanged those of us who cared enough to make it on time. So the 3 hour course was crammed into 2 and was totally overwhelming. Not to mention the mob who pushed to get the handouts at the end....again, what kind of people do that? A lady actually had to elbow another fat old broad who was crushing us up against the table - they're not free donut samples lady, it's just paperwork. Chill. You'll get yours.

I'm the type who worries about everything and I don't take jobs lightly - I'm a bit of a perfectionist. So when I picked up my ballot box on the weekend and discovered that it was crammed full of even more paperwork, I kinda freaked out. Ty kept reassuring me that we'd be fine (we were a team - I was his supervisor. Hehe). But why I thought staying up all night before the election and reading through the material until my brain froze was a good idea is beyond me. No sleep is not good. No sleep when you're about to do a job you've never done before (involving 500 people) is really not good. Two plus two was equalling nine by the time the alarm went off at 5:15 (the last time I remembered looking at the clock was at 4:11. Yikes).

So the morning rolled around and we were to report to our stations by 6 am - no freakin' problem, right? A couple of pounds of coffe and I'd be good to go. But fuck if it wasn't a full moon and that means crazy things in my world. As I drearily carted boxes of stuff from my car into the gym, I somehow managed to spill my (extra large, burning hot) coffee down the front of my sweater. And on the ballot box and screen. Yea. I'm a winner. (I quit.)

Anyhow, all went well in the end. Ty and I worked like a well oiled machine, mostly thanks to him. I was impressed by his calm demeanor and ability to perform under some really stressful situations. He rocked it bigtime and kept me afloat.

My poll clerk, Ty.
He's awesome.

This election was a mess, as people were required to show identification for the first time ever. Really? We didn't have to before? That's ridiculous. There were oaths to read and vouching to be done and interpreters involved all day long - never a dull moment. But I'm proud to say that we balanced and were out of there without a hitch. Wish I could say the same for the station beside us - that was a mess. I felt bad because the DRO was a passive little gentleman who had about as much clerical sense as a camel. He tore all his ballots out of the books and had them strewn around everywhere - "here, have some". His poll clerk was beet red by the end of the day...I'm quite sure she had an aneurysm at the end. We'd all called our results in and their ballot box hadn't even been opened yet. They'd officially sealed some stuff in envelopes, then realized they still needed it and hadn't counted how many people voted at their station. Not a pretty sight at that table...I asked if they needed help, then ran before it got too ugly.

Our jobs as DRO's were to protect each and every ballot...dude at the table to the left didn't do so well in that department. Did you know someone actually ate their ballot once? Brought condiments and everything. FTR - you're not allowed to do that. I can't believe that it's actually in the FAQ's. Like this is a problem?

We also were to maintain order....I got a little worried when I saw a warrant/arrest sheet in my supplies. Luckily, it wasn't needed. Nor was the bomb threat procedure page....Ty and I laughed at the "DO NOT TRY AND DISMANTLE THE BOMB YOURSELF". Uh, o.k. We won't.

So today it's back to the usual grind - it's nice to put all the craziness behind me.

Next week I'm off to buy a new car...mine's PMSing again. The heater (that I replaced two years ago) laughs at me. Screeches and laughs. I actually side kicked it while I was driving the other day (it's way over by the passenger seat).

There's also a hole in something. I know this because it sounds like a bicycle that's got baseball cards in the spokes. Kind of a dying lawnmower thing. And it smells like burning oil. (Or maybe that's my brain on fire?)

The final straw was the burnt out headlight. I was picking Linds up from Jesse's at midnight on Thanksgiving and when I rounded the corner just before his house, a cop was coming towards me. He pulled a U turn and I knew I was doomed. Lights, sirens, the whole she-bang. I pulled into Jesse's driveway and asked the cop if he could at least have the decency to turn off the lights /siren so he wouldn't embarrass me in front of my daughter's boyfriend's family. He took his sweet time and and by that time Jesse's mom was peeking out the front door to see what the commotion was all about. The neighbours too. "Oh hi, I'm just here to pick Linds up". "Yes officer, I have my license right here". (Douchebag).

So it's time to part ways, me and the Volvo. I'll miss her - she's got character. But I probably should've packed her in when Ty and I broke down in the tunnel - that was a trip.

Oh yeah, I had a road rage incident today in front of Lindsay's school - she went in and told everyone to witness her Mom in action outside...they all peeked out the windows and watched it unfold. Including her teachers. Yeeha. I was right though....Linds almost got mowed down by a pompous ass who was rushing into his financial institution. "I don't care that your portfolio's still can't run over my daughter". (It's the law) :P

(I'm not really a redneck, I just talk like one)

Did I tell you I'm a winner yet?

Well, time to run - my eyelids feel like lead. I won't be adrift for so long this time...will check in with you all soon. The time off I have coming will be spent here, catching up with all of you. Be cool. (Just because I'm not, doesn't mean you can't be)



Blogger Whitenoise said...

LOL. Hope you got some rest.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I didn't realise that DRO was so challenging. Damn, I'm glad I didn't sign up for that. Still, it's good that they let you know that you shouldn't try to dismantle the bomb yourself.

I am sending you good car-buying vibes.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Deb said...'s all I've been doing since. ;)

barb...actually, Ty guided me through pretty much everything. Plus, he had to do most of the paperwork. I think it was mostly a first time jitters thing and it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. I'm pleased to report that we did not have to diffuse any bombs.

Thanks for the vibes...I can use them.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Phaedra said...

Thanks for the kind words on my memorium post for my dad. Glad to see you posting again, I was getting worried.

And I am lol'ing at 'pounds of coffee...'

10:53 AM  
Blogger Deb said...


Good to see you.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

very quickly HI!

I'll be in touch again asap

bloody computers timing me out!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Hi Debs. Really sorry about that last message. I was about to me terminated by the net caff and didn't know whether to delete or send so I did the latter...

Alzheimers is getting everyone. Even Margaret Thatcher has it these days...

Hey do you know anything about this Following a Blog thing? I got 15 people following mine! Yet I "follow" no-one's as I just click back on their picture. I was afraid it was just something to email me and I'm crap at collecting emails. (One more thing to worry about being logged into on public property...)

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home